Dances with live music for over 50s in person and online over Zoom
Live dances at Freemantle Community Centre run monthly on the second Wednesday of the month. If you’re not ready to dance in person yet, or if you live too far away, you can still dance at home – see below for details!
Come and meet new people, keep active and learn some simple folk dances to suit all levels of activity. All sessions have live music from members of Jigfoot and a caller to guide you through the dances which are selected and adapted to allow for reduced contact. In breaks from the dancing there are songs to enjoy. Have fun, get fitter and make new friends!
Join the FolkActive Dances mailing list for monthly reminders
Under 50s are welcome too, and there’s no need to book in advance, but please read and abide by these guidelines which are designed to keep each other safe:
- We are asking all participants to be double vaccinated and to take a lateral flow test in the previous 24 hours. Please contact us in advance if this could cause problems for you. Please stay at home if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or you feel unwell.
- Please enter the hall using the door that opens onto the car park.
- We will have windows open for ventilation so bring a jumper if it’s chilly!
- You may choose to wear a face mask but this is not a requirement.
- We will not be serving refreshments so please bring your own.
When coronavirus restrictions meant we couldn’t meet physically, we kept on dancing using Zoom, enabling dancers to re-connect and enjoy moving to live folk music at home. An unexpected bonus has been the potential to reach a much wider audience, so we’re delighted to be continuing to offer the chance to dance with us, wherever you are!
The monthly dances are streamed live over Zoom so you’ll be able to see and hear the dancers in the hall, the caller and the live music. You can join in the dancing at home, or just enjoy the music and dancing. Bring the atmosphere of the live dances right into your home!
Register here to receive details of how to access the dances.
Our Zoom dances remain free to attend, although if you would like to make a donation it would be appreciated